Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Smith & Wesson Are Back in a Big Way

I Bought a Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum

That's the headline.  I went into a pawn shop and saw it from the entry door and immediately knew what it was.  I negotiated what I thought was a decent price and bought it.  They now have a Dan Wesson 15-2 I might go back for later on.

Pawn shop gun?

I seem to buy really good guns from pawn shops.  After I lost interest in my Jennings J-22, my first ever gun, I went into a pawn shop and saw a Dan Wesson 15-2 .357 magnum revolver.  That started my love affair with big, heavy revolvers.  Another gun I bought in a pawn shop was my Jericho (Baby Eagle to US buyers) .40 S&W, which I will never sell, as it is the best semi-auto I've ever shot.  Enough of that.

But a .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum?

I haven't shot it yet.  The rounds are the size of double-a batteries.  The gun has three times the power of .44 magnum, of Dirty Harry fame, 'The most powerful handgun in the world!'

So, why a .500?  I love big, heavy revolvers, and this thing is one of the biggest and heaviest ever made.  It has excellent velocity and very high power factor, although it also has a lot of bad habits due to the fact that this thing is very near to the limit of what can be done with current technology.  Whether I keep it or not, I am really looking forward to shooting it.

Ammo is expensive, so I will be looking into reloading.

More later on how it shoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment