Monday, December 26, 2016

I bought an iPhone (again)

As the title states, I did, indeed, buy another iPhone.  Blackberry has lost the plot in a major way, the Passport being the last good one, and all the Android phones I've had have been flaky and slow.  If the spirit moves you, you can leave your complaints about that statement in the comments.  I'm just reporting my experience with the things.

So, since the smartphone is no longer a novelty and is approaching the status of an appliance, I simply decided to buy the most reliable appliance out there.  After a short survey, that turned out to be the iPhone.

So, mobile email is much better than last time I used an iPhone.  Still not up to Blackberry standard, but that's really not an option anymore.  The iPhone has a far less annoying notification system than Android, something I am reminded of every time I pick up my Android tablet and do anything with it.

The iPhone I have is the 6s plus.  It is fast, reliable, and hasn't needed any real fiddling.  Apple does not understand cloud at all, so I've been constantly forced to fix iCloud issues, but that's another story entirely.

We'll see how long I stay happy with it.  Since my last iPhone, I've had two Blackberries running classic, two running OS 10, one Blackberry running Android and the Galaxy Note 3.  I seem to replace my phone mostly annually now.

What bothers me the most is that Blackberry was still the only manufacturer making something intriguing.  They produced devices such as the Passport, which was a stunningly useful formfactor, and the Priv, which was an almost-usable Android phone.  Prior to the iPhone, those were the two phones I bought before the iPhone.

Since I have decided we are in a post-innovation era in the smartphone market, I may keep this thing for a couple of years, which will be a disappointment to my kids, as they've been getting my castoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment